[TYPO3-core] Removing legacy CSC templates

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Jan 27 18:09:44 CET 2014

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 21.01.2014 09:50:

> On 20-1-2014 9:50, Ernesto Baschny wrote:
>> in Essen some month back we discussed what to do with the old
>> css_styled_content static TypoScript templates (3.8 .. 4.4) and came up
>> with this issue: http://forge.typo3.org/issues/51538
>
> Maybe we can move all old TS from csc to a TER extension? That will give
> us the freedom to remove old TS rather quickly (only keep the previous
> version next to the current?) and integrators can install them whenever
> they might need them.
>
> I've never seen an installation that used an older csc TS template.
> Making some CSS fixes is mostly part of the update procedure when moving
> to a new version (other than bugfix releases).

I have also never used old templates after an upgrade, but adapted
accordingly. Usually it's not such a hassle.

In 4.7 thou we have had plenty of changes, (html5, more accessibility
and better structured output). +ext templates that hook into the old
TypoScript also site's CSS will need more adaptation.

Having them in the Core would allow us to better "maintain" them, but
having them as TER extensions is probably the easiest solution. Coupled
with that, declaring them as "unmaintained" would also be ok, as we
don't really have the resources to do such a maintenance (and frankly
speaking: it's not worth it).

The consequence of moving them to TER would be that the Upgrade Wizard
which currently shows what has changes in the output since last upgrade
won't allow this step to be declined, i.e. user must acknowledge the
changes.

We could also strip off this step entirely from the Upgrade Wizard -
considering that we haven't really been documenting what happened after
4.5 release in the FE rendering output through this mechanism, see [1].
And instead refer to the changes in the release notes, maybe providing
some hints on the "4.5 to 6.2" Upgrade Documentation.

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/51435