[TYPO3-core] Removing feature of compressing and merging external files

Aske Ertmann aske at moc.net
Thu Jan 9 17:40:17 CET 2014

Hi again, sorry for the slow answer

On 07/01/2014, at 15.34, Helmut Hummel <helmut.hummel at typo3.org> wrote:
> In how many client projects did you do so? What was the file you integrated like that?

I think we’ve used it for 10-20 projects over the past few years, but mainly for convenience rather than anything else. So that shows that it’s not uncommon that we’ve been using it, although it has mostly been used on older sites.

It’s very easy to use and has mostly worked fine for us (except the performance due to shitty external hoster).

The word CDN keeps being mentioned, but that’s not really the cases we’ve used it for. If there’s a CDN we’d use that of course directly, but we’ve instead used it when including JS from external services like searches, tracking, media assets or similar.

Personally I wouldn’t mind too much if it was removed because I’m capable of doing it in other ways, but I do agree with the argument that that isn’t always possible for integrators.

So for integrators this is a great feature. If TYPO3 performance becomes slower because of that, that’s not really the concern of the core IMO.

For me it’s a question of functionality against the work required for keeping it.

/Aske