[TYPO3-core] Hook names

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Sep 23 14:54:17 CEST 2013

Philipp Gampe schrieb am 23.09.2013 12:18:
> Hi Ernesto,
>
> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>
>> I think that it should at least be namespaced somehow to avoid clashes.
>> "pageInitPostProcess" could be a hook name in an extension too. Or one
>> for the "Web>Page" module.
>>
>> We already have XCLASS definitions in
>> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['Objects'][<classname>], why not use some
>> similar construct for hooks:
>>
>> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['Hooks'][<classname>][<hookname>] ?
>>
>> Or even at "top level" ($TYPO3_CONF_VARS['Hooks']) to avoid so much
>> clutter of the SYS section.
>
> Or use Signal/Slot pattern? Did anyone measure the performance impact?
>
> Topic for Hannover?

True. I was still thinking in the pattern-strict reasoning that with
signal/slots you are not allowed to return or change anything, which is
what we can do with hooks.

But since we now allowed this "misuse" of the signal/slot pattern
allowing to change parameters [1] it should have the same powers we used
to have with Hooks.

What I don't like in the Signal/Slot methods is that it depends on
Extbase and it's object manager. Even if Extbase is a required
extension, I wouldn't expect that (as a developer). But it is how it is...

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/51138