[TYPO3-core] Status of TYPO3 6.2 LTS

Steffen Ritter steffen.ritter at typo3.org
Wed Nov 20 16:37:36 CET 2013

Hi Adrian,
great that you participate in that topic - long time no see (read). Hope
you are doing fine.

I have some remarks and questions on your comments, I will address inline.

Am 20.11.13 14:01, schrieb Adrian Zimmermann:
> of
> course a decision like this gets us agencies a bit into trouble because
> our planning was all related to this LTS version and future projects
> were planned and communicated with clients with this 6.2 LTS.

I do not know what you have communicated to your client - so nobody
besides you can be held responsible for that. *joking*

 > of course
> we have to start with those projects anyway and we'll have to decide
> weather it will be 4.5 or anything else... we'll have to figure out how
> to proceed, there's always a way... right?

I think if the project is that big, that you already now plan to migrate
you can go with the beta versions, too - they are not so bad, but
probably just not production ready in terms of performance and bugs etc.
But until you are finished it is ready.

If you start from scratch it heavily depends on what you are doing - I
am going live in december with 6.2 projects too. I just don't use the
features which are "difficult" currently.
If your project is bigger - the going live even might be after the
release. Small project seldomly are time critical.

Furthermore I wonder if it would have been released in time, but not as
stable as it should - what would you have gained?.

> what i'm wondering about is a statement of the management (board/eab) of
> the T3A, i havent read anything from this side and i think we definately
> need communication from that side, the faster the better.

What statement do you expect? And why should they give a statement?
(since they do not run development)

Anyhow the EAB for sure was informed - still the question remains "what
do you expect from them"?

As Ernesto already told, the problem originates in a lack of man power
and focused interest.
Therefore if you consider the delay as mission critical for your current
business we would highly appreciate your support. For how you can help
out (developer as code-slave or money) you ideally directly get in touch
with Ernesto Baschny <ernesto.baschny at typo3.org> or Mathias Schreiber
<mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de>

Regards

Steffen