[TYPO3-core] Bypass version compatibility check in 6.2 extension manager

Loek Hilgersom loek at netcoop.nl
Thu Nov 14 15:23:09 CET 2013

Hi all,

While test-driving 6.2-dev I'm running into the new compatibility check in the
extension manager. It refuses to install extensions which do not have explicit
6.2 support in ext_emconf.php, and therefor there are very few extensions which
can be installed at all.

Normally I would download AND install the extension in my dev-environment to
test if it works. If it would break the installation I would de-install and
remove, or fix the code and re-install.

I would expect a warning, and maybe refuse to install without prior warnings,
but now I can not even download it to fix it myself. Trying out older extensions
gets really annoying this way, because I'd first have to figure out where the
git or svn-repository is - if it exists at all - and otherwise download the
extension in some older TYPO3-installation, or some other lengthy procedure.

Also, if the extension manager refuses to even download older extensions, there
is no point in showing them either.

I think it should just present a severe warning before allowing you to install
older extensions, or at least download them. There could also be an install tool
option that would allow this behaviour, so that it the default remains as it is
now.

What do you think? Or did I miss something?

Loek