[TYPO3-core] Second Meeting for TYPO3 6.2 LTS Release

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Wed May 29 21:54:16 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 05/29/2013 09:40 PM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> On 29-5-2013 19:57, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
>> But can't we make a separate MigrationUtility or something then that
>> people needing/wanting compat with 4.5 and 6.2 could switch to? It could
>> contain functions that behave the same way under both versions. Those
>> extensions would have a clear dependency on a migration-extension. And
>> once people are ready to drop 4.5-compat they could drop the need to
>> activate the migration-utility as well.
>
> People (including myself) are usually lazy. If there is a extension /
> module / utility that brings back the old stuff they will use it.

That's why I don't want to bring back "old stuff" and especially not
back to the core. Instead have it as a separate compat-thing that
developers would need to put a dependency on and would need to
intentionally switch to. Just give them a help before they start
reinventing that 4.5-and-6.2-compat-wheel themselves.

[...]

> The compatibility stuff needs to stay until the end of the LTS and
> during that time some people might expect it to work with later versions
> of the core too.

Hmm, if it were an "extension from the core" you might be right. Maybe a
community-extension by "somebody" then? I guess we have enough viral
people around to spread the word about it but not have it as an official
recommendation by the team. :-)

>> The migration-part would just be there so that people don't need to /
>> don't dare to come up with their own compat-stuff.
>
> Therefore it would IMO be better if we publish this in an article or a
> series of articles. Extension authors could use what they need and be
> encouraged to at least understand what they are doing instead of
> blindingly relying on the magic in the compatibility classes.

I fear that people would copy-and-paste compat-snippets all over various
extensions :-(

> These articles could also point to newer alternatives for the old code.

Of course. It should be an intermediate solution. Maybe even the new
API-interface just inside a separate class - so actually bringing "the
new methods" to 4.5 LTS but without the burden of having to introduce it
in the 4.5-LTS-tree - which in the end wouldn't be fully possible
because of missing namespacing in 4.5-LTS.

Regards,
 Stefan

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
 Stefan Neufeind

SpeedPartner GmbH
Neukirchener Str. 57, 41470 Neuss
Tel.: 02137 / 91666-3, Fax: 02137 / 91666-1
E-Mail: info at speedpartner.de

Eingetragen unter HRB 13256 beim Amtsgericht Neuss
Geschäftsführer: Michael Metz, Stefan Neufeind
Sitz: Neuss