[TYPO3-core] Active Contributors, Core Team Meeting Nürnberg

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Fri May 10 22:48:15 CEST 2013

Hi,

I just wanted to give you a "quick" note on some stuff that was
discussed and done (or not done) during the T3ACME13N (Active
Contributor Meeting in Nürnberg) last weekend. I am not sure if Olly
will still write a proper article containing more details (i.e. the
statistics of MacBooks vs non-MacBooks...), but I think there were some
important stuff that deserves to be emphasized right away because it
affects our "daily work".

If you would like to read our "full protocol", please refer to [1]. Keep
in mind that this might not contain everything and might be "raw" at
some points due to the fact that it was collaboratively written and
during some discussions noone focused on keeping on writing.

1) Our restructured Core team is already "online" at [2] so that Active
Contributors now have merge rights as already pre-announced by Olly.

2) Decision: Every "Revert" commit message should always contain an
explanation why the reversal was done.

3) GIT: In future we should keep the same Change-ID when pushing a
backported patch to older branches. Don't need to set the "Issue-Number"
as the topic anymore (has been discussed in this list before). We will
use the "topic" to group certain reviews, but no "name scheme" was
decided yet. One interesting idea is to use the Forge "Category" for
such naming scheme.

4) We did *not* merge the Submodules into the Core project as planed
yet. The script from Tom is working already [3] (currently only on
master, try it out and play with how it looks like at [4]). It will also
"rewrite history" for the namespace change back in 6.0 (and thus also
the SHA1 of commits thereafter), which might cause some annoyance but
will have the great benefit of enabling "git blame" on all files again
(and not have every line point to Tom which did the namespacing switch).
We stopped with the migration because we decided to use this "breaking"
opportunity to rename our Git Repository to a "new scheme" (most
probably git.typo3.org/Packages/TYPO3.CMS.git as we are no "v4"
anymore), but the naming scheme is not finally decided yet. Thus this
has been postponed.

5) We will elect the "New Team Leader" in a near future.

6) We should have had a meeting today (Helmut, Ernesto, Christian, Tom,
Benni, Olly) to discuss and continue the important document "TYPO3 CMS
Vision" [5]. The meeting was postponed until next Tuesday. Please note
that this draft document was created some months ago and the current
state is not up-to-date. Next step is Helmut updating and "cleaning it
up" (i.e. split up in three different documents) after the input we've
got at the ACME and then we finalize it in an interactive process. You
can take a look at it, but please do not add further comments just yet
until we inform you about it.

7) The whole 6.2 LTS topic was a hot topic and you can read up about it
in our protocol. AFAIK the "yet to be elected" release manager will
*most probably* write some more details on the kick off after he has
been elected - so stay tuned. :)

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1] https://notes.typo3.org/p/T3ACME13N