[TYPO3-core] Issue handling

Alexander Opitz alexander.opitz at googlemail.com
Thu May 9 23:15:56 CEST 2013

Hey,

the last weeks I poked through more then 1.200 very old core issues, closing
some duplicates or having no response since over one year. But mostly asked
for Feedback. Sometimes with the feeling that "chrissitopher" stands behind
me. ;-)

As I started the issue tracker counted 3880 open issues (Core, no
Subproject, and TYPO3 version not 6.2), now we have 3689 open issues. Thanks
to all the issue closer.

So, now my question to how I should handle the following 2 fields:

- Target version
- TYPO3 version

TYPO3 version is the major version in which the issue was found. Should this
field hold the first major or last major version a issue was found?

Target version holds the minor version in which it would/will be solved. Who
should set this field? A developer who plans to bring this in next minor
release? Or should all 4.7 open issues set to next version as target? And
what to set if the issue is in 6.1, 6.0, 4.7 and 4.5? 4.5.27 or 6.1.1? Who
will update this minor version number if an issue passed the release?

By the way, there are no minor version numbers for next 4.5, 4.7 and 6.0 and
as ther won't be a new 4.6 can the Target 4.6.19 be closed?

The FriendlyGhost (http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/wiki/FriendlyGhost) document writes, that the 'Needs Feedback' issues
now have 90 days time for response. I'd like to reduce this to 1 month, as
we need to get the numbers of open issues down, very fast.

First to get a better overview what needs to be done for a well working
TYPO3 CMS 6.2 LTS version.

And Second, most contributors are unsatisfied with the huge amount of the
issues and that nothing happens (and most patches are burning in the "not
mergable" hell). That was identified and thats why the team structure was
changed, to speed things up.

Ans last question, if an issue is closed, how a user can contact us? Writing
in the issue mostly do not help (no assignee and no watchers) and who wants
to go through the closed issues to look if someone has problems with a patch
(or why ever the issue was closed).

Thats all I think for today, happy hacking and typo3ing. ;-)

Greetings Alexander//