[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sun Mar 3 13:32:45 CET 2013

Hi,

On 2-3-2013 16:35, Steffen Müller wrote:
> Am 01.03.2013 21:49, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
>> There is no reasonable way to distinguish a Debian PHP 5.3.5 (which
>> actually works like a 5.3.8) from an original PHP 5.3.5.
>> Despite some effort to find a way to test if there was a version with or
>> without the bug, there was only one way to go: set the requirement to 5.3.7
>
> There is:
> $ php
> <?php
> echo phpversion();
>
> 5.3.3-7+squeeze14

This is not a test for the presence of the bug. You would have to make a
list of all versions of all distributions which contain the bugfix. If a
distribution decides to include the fix we would need to add it to the list.

What you would want to have is a piece of PHP where the outcome is
different (or an error occurs) when the bug is present compared to when
the bug is not there.

> Before you bash the release policy of Debian, have a closer look at it.
> It's quite similar to the one we have developed for the TYPO3 core:

There is one major difference: our policy is about bugs in our own
product. Debian has this policy for another product which they include
in their distribution.

It would be the same as if we would keep the version of swiftmailer the
same (or make our own version number) but apply some of the bugfixes
from a newer version of swiftmailer.

Imagine the effort that would go into collecting, reviewing and applying
all the bugfixes for PHP after the original maintainer has already done
this.
Sorry, but to me this comes close to insanity.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!