[TYPO3-core] Review system woes

Alexander Opitz alexander.opitz at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 9 14:20:04 CET 2013

Hi,

> but how can this be improved? A review system is needed and a CVS is
> needed. Many companies uses git in their company already and gerrit is
> pretty much the same to push than a normal git repository in office.
>
> at least I made this experience in my company.

not every agency is using git or any other VCS and why they should? Normaly
they download the installation package, and use this to install extensions.
Why the hell they should install git, learn git, learn gerrit to push one
little patch back to TYPO3?

> which is just not true. Opening the system to GIT was a big success
> because now anyone can really contribute to the core and every extension
> using this workflow too and everybody can really check out the things of
> a different user.

There is no difference to before using GIT and this haven't to do with the
issue/patch management. But for agencies it was easier before. There was a
patch file in mantis which xyou download, use the patch command and all was
done. It was easy and fast.

> Everybody is happy for getting real improvements, everything is really
> open and not closed

It isn't more open then before. The only thing that improved is jenkins,
which can test patches automaticaly, this normaly improves source code
quality. But you add a barrier with gerrit for many users.

So back to my points:

- You don't get the state of patches inside the issue tracker "under review"
says nothing.
- You need to check 2 places to get all informations (issue tracker, code
review).
- Double informations on the commit (which then is not realy editable).