[TYPO3-core] A-Badge for Extensions

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Dec 19 13:15:48 CET 2013

Hi Ludwig,

> The document currently states
>> PHP version
>> ---
>> Lower version requirements should be kept over versions with the
>> exception that it may be raised if a newer version is considered
>
> Could you clarify that? Which "version" word(s) relate(s) to Extensions
> and which to PHP?

It's in the part of "PHP version". So basically the idea is that you
create your extension and make it compatible with PHP 5.2 up to say
5.3.99. It is thus fully compatible with TYPO3 4.5 (as of the PHP
requirements, not speaking about the code of your extension).

Now, we are at TYPO3 6.1 but you do a good job and still want to keep
compatibility with TYPO3 4.5, and that's really great!

In the mean time, PHP 5.3 is now fully accessible to every
Linux/Windows/... operating system in the "stable" (or maybe already
"old-stable" branch, so I say that it is totally fine, to change the
minimum requirement to PHP 5.3 even though you still are compatible with
TYPO3 4.5 because at that time, PHP 5.3 is available to anyone.

However, you should not (I'm not writing "must not") change the minimum
requirements to PHP 5.4 or PHP 5.5 since those versions are not yet
widely available.

Cheers
Xavier

--