[TYPO3-core] #53682, PHP 5.5.6, call-time pass-by-reference, PHP 5.6

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Fri Dec 13 07:58:53 CET 2013

Hi Philipp,

> I suggest to change the the problematic lines in the core for 6.2 as we will
> get a breaking backend without it and extensions are expected to likely
> break.

This sounds correct as we expect people to actively check and adapt if
their extension is not compatible anymore. Furthermore the reference
operator is deprecated and as such it's wrong to keep it much longer. As
soon as 6.2 is rock solid and out, usage of 6.1 and 6.0 will decrease.

> Will still need to find a solution for <=6.1. Either by introducing an upper
> the PHP version limit for the older branches as PHP 5.5.x excluding 5.5.6;
> or by changing the code (likely breaks many backends) or by introducing the
> workaround from above.

I would prefer a solution where the extension author actively uses
another implementation for < 6.2, adding complexity and making TYPO3
even more slow for something deprecated since ages does not look like a
good approach.

Do you already have a patch hanging somewhere? We may "try" and see a
bit how it behaves (I extended the toolbar as well so I could check in
my own extension) and then think further.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6