[TYPO3-core] Deprecation issue in 6.0 (helpText)

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Fri Apr 26 11:24:13 CEST 2013

Hi!

Thanks for bringing this up.

The problem here is/was:
The user option edit_showFieldHelp has been deprecated. Since helpText() relies on this option
($GLOBALS['TCA_DESCR'] must be loaded prior to this function and $GLOBALS['BE_USER'] must have "edit_showFieldHelp" set to "text", otherwise nothing is returned)
it was deprecated too.

The strange thing is that the call in wrapInHelp() cannot be replaced, because it is invoked every time its  4th parameter is omitted. (Which is the case in most calls in Core)
The question is: Is the behavior of wrapInHelp() wrong, or is the description of helpText() wrong that it relies on edit_showFieldHelp?

Kind regards
Markus