[TYPO3-core] Strategy for deprecation log

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Wed Apr 3 14:45:42 CEST 2013

Hi Jost!

> Hi!
>
> I hope its ok to post here, even though I'm not a core team member.
I'm not a Core Dev either. ;-)

[....]

> I also think that dev mode is not a good idea. If someone needs such a mode,
> he can create a TS constant to switch it on and off. That way, other
> functionality (switch CSS/JS compression on or off, etc.) could easily be done
> too.
Typoscript is not even nearly in the scope of this feature. Deprecation is happening at a very very low level of code and might appear where TS is not even close to be loaded.
Furthermore TS is always page specific, whereas deprecation is for the whole installation, independent of actual pages.

> To improve the deprecation log functionality, I suggest this:
>
> Deprecation logging is by default restricted to the last call of a deprecated
> function. That info (That a deprecated function has recently been called and
> where to find more info) is shown at some place, but only if that last call isn't
> too old. The place to show this message could be the reports module, or
> maybe somewhere where it is always visible in the backend, depending on
> the level of annoyance wanted.
>
> There are options (preferrably in TS) to deactivate that message and/or
> switch full logging on.
See above.

> This way, an integrator is annoyed with deprecation messages, but if he does
> not switch them off, nothing really bad happens (maybe some small
> performance penalty). And if the messages are displayed prominently
> enough, he'll not forget to switch them off (which IMO is the main reason for
> big deprecation logs). Or, even better, he'll take action and solve the
> problems indicated by the message. Also, the full deprecation logging
> functionality doesn't need to be changed, so it is not that much work to do.
Deprecation is not for integrators!! Integrators can change nothing, but posting a ticket at forge for the respective extension.

> Regards,
> Jost

Kind regards
Markus Klein