[TYPO3-core] OT Re: Strategy for deprecation log

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Tue Apr 2 20:34:09 CEST 2013

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Müller wrote:

> Well, SteffenG and I had submitted the documentation AND the Logging API
> code in parallel in August 2012. Francois merged and published the doc
> on docs.typo3.org in March 2013.

Yes, I found it after looking for something else a few minutes later.

>> c) Prepare a code sprint for the logging topic (t3dd?). Get in touch with
>> the core leaders or the release manager if you need help/location, etc
>
> The Logging project was driven by two t3dd workshops and two code
> sprints in the last two years. I have organized both t3dd workshops and
> one code sprints. So please tell me something new ;-)

;) Well, it is not "done" yet, thus further code sprints are needed :P

>> e) Poke some people (rather effective) =D
>
> My experience from many years of open source work (incl. TYPO3
> community) is: poking people might be effective to gain attraction on  a
> topic, but attraction does not say anything about the deliverable
> result. The result is unpredictable, because you can't force people to
> deliver. That's why I never promised dates to deliver Logging stuff.
> AFAIK Joey was the only one to solve this with gridelements.
>
> Poking takes a lot of time and comes with frustration, when you see a
> lot of people raising their hands to contribute, but not even tell you
> when they change their minds.
>
> For example: I did write a summary of the Loggin project by mail to 12
> contributors and asked for feedback about their future involvement.
> Received two answers.

I totally agree to you here, but I made the same experience at work and in
sports clubs too.
I think this is just a normal side effect of human interaction and
laziness/prioritizing (and changing priorities) if you are not "forced" to
work on a certain topic or if you work on multiple topics.

After all, they day unfortunately only has 24 hours. Pretty limited IMHO.

One has to take what one gets in open processes.

More serious: Like most active people, I have many things on my radar and
can not promise to work on a certain topic.
I will try to keep the logging stuff more prominent on my radar for the next
time, but I also not to put more priorities on my studies.

As kind of a devop, I really like good and flexible logging option as they
make my way much easier. Thus I will really try to support you in this area,
even if it is just motivation.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!