[TYPO3-core] Strategy for deprecation log

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Apr 2 16:30:27 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 2-4-2013 15:51, Steffen Müller wrote:
> On 02.04.2013 11:48 Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>> Another aspect to consider is to disable deprecation log by default, as
>> it only "annoys" people which are not interested in it. I know that we
>> want to "annoy" people as much as possible using deprecated stuff in
>> their extensions, but this annoyance also hits customers who just want
>> to use the system and are not programmers at all.
> The goal of enabling this by default was to educate developers. But the
> effect was annoyed users (not developers) by superfluous files.
> It has never been proved that education was successfully. I rather see
> usage of deprecated methods even in core, although the situation became
> much better since some month. Not to speak about extensions.

There was also some talk recently about a setting for development and
production environment for TYPO3. This could include:
- clear visual sign that dev-mode is active
- deprecation log enabled
- log level low
- dev log enabled (if installed)
- devIpMask enabled
- ...

In production mode many of those settings could be disabled by default
or set to a sensible setting.

What do you think?

--
Jigal van Hemert