[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Oct 8 22:44:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 8-10-2012 17:01, Steffen Müller wrote:
> As already argued after T3CON:
> 6 month to upgrade from 4.5 LTS to 6.x LTS looks short to me, because
> * there might be a huge amount of instances in the wild, which are
> targeted to upgrade only from LTS to LTS. This means higher workload in
> the 6 month phase, additionally to the usual workload of new projects.

A good reason to not skip so many versions and upgrade regularly...

> * we do not know yet, how smooth upgrades work.

Upgrades to the next version will usually go smoother than skipping a
lot of versions.

> So my proposal is to extend the lifetime of 4.5 LTS on demand. This
> could be limited to security fixes.

A good replacement for a new LTS version, provided that there is someone
who wants to do the support for this.

Rename it 4.5 Vintage edition and this will go EOL with TYPO3 CMS
itself. No need for a new LTS version. +1

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!