[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Oct 1 15:16:47 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 1-10-2012 14:30, Michael Stucki wrote:
> That's pretty important to know. In fact, this means there's almost no
> additional price for providing another LTS version...

As Ernesto already mentioned in his reply: that is only regarding the
actual release procedure.

For the poor developers an LTS version means that bugs must backported
to a code base which is changed because of new features. If I only think
back on the hours I spent with Stefan Galinski trying to backport the
filter-tree bug to 4.5 and 4.6 (which don't have the virtual root node
for non-admins). We didn't succeed until today...

Every backport needs to be tested thoroughly to prevent regressions.
Especially after 6.0 the moving and renaming of classes makes
backporting even more challenging.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member