[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Mon Oct 1 15:05:55 CEST 2012

Am 01.10.2012 14:30, schrieb Michael Stucki:

>> To sum up my thoughts: yes, we should have another LTS, as it is really
>> appreciated by clients. This LTS should happen in the 6.x branch and
>> should be the end of it. Further developments would go to the 7.x branch.
>
> I think I can agree but I'm not entirely sure I understand your last
> sentence correctly. IMHO we will have many 6.x versions just like we
> used to have 4.x versions, and some of them might be LTS releases. I
> wouldn't start any plans for a 7.x branch yet as this is something we
> will hopefully not need:
>
> 6.0 => 2012 / 10
> 6.1 => 2013 / 04
> 6.2 => 2013 / 10 (LTS?)
> 6.3 => 2014 / 04
> 6.4 => 2014 / 10
> 6.5 => 2015 / 04
> 6.6 => 2015 / 10
> 6.7 => 2016 / 04 (LTS?)
> 6.8 => 2016 / 10
> 6.9 => 2017 / 04
> 6.10 => 2017 / 10

eeeekkks
=:-O

that will be the same as with TYPO3 4.X?

IMHO in real versioning it should have been like this:

TYPO3
actual		should have been
4.0			4.0
4.1			4.5
4.2			5.0
4.3			5.3
4.4			5.5
4.5			6.0
4.6			7.0
4.7			8.0

as there were great breaks in the core, this would be a better
versioning. But Phoenix blocked the usage of version number 5.0. (and
higher)

as we now are free to change the major-version-number we are free, to
use the minor-number to implement minor changes (feature changes which
were forbidden until a new vresion with a lot of other major changes
were ready)

LTS should be an upcomming version X.1 (X.0 may implement new features.
some bugfixes will give X.0.n and and stablize into X.1 as LTS)
X.2 might enhance some minor features and backported enhancements from
successors from X.1

in short:

the major number should indicate big, breaking changes.

the minor number should show the high compatibility witch only needs
minor adjustemnts in configuration and programming.

the bugfix-number should indicate that no changes are required after an
update of the source.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html