[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Nov 7 23:51:13 CET 2012

Hi,

On 7-11-2012 22:39, Lukas Rueegg [RTP] wrote:
> On 2012-11-07 19:55:59 +0000, Jigal van Hemert said:
> I don't want to compare to a commercial CMS. And the clients don't want
> to. Because they already chose TYPO3.

That means that you have a pretty specific type of clients. Other
agencies find themselves in the situation that clients just want a new
website. They really don't mind which system is used as long as it meets
the requirements.

> The thing is that all our extensions will have to support different
> versions as all clients run different versions as there is no clear
> upgrade cycle with these short term releases. I agree that an upgrade
> from 4.5 to 6.2 will be more complex than from a 6.1 version. But we can
> do this once and upgrade it everywhere. We're not talking about ONE
> installations, we're talking about DOZENS of installations with the same
> version and the same extensions!

You actually have dozens of different websites with exactly the same set
of extensions? That is a very specific type of customers!

>>> So in order to move everyone to the next level, an LTS (e.g. 6.1) is
>>> more than overdue - and everyone will benefit from it, developers and
>>> agencies.
>>
>> How will developers benefit from more unpaid maintenance work? I don't
>> see a benefit in having to backport bugfixes to 3, 4, 5 versions which
>> have a more and more diverting codebase. Can you explain that?
>
> As I said before, I can hear it loud and clear: You just don't want to
> do this work anymore.

I was asking for the benefit for developers from an LTS version...

And it's not a matter of not wanting to do something. On one side the
market wants us the keep up with developments in the internet world. New
websites made with TYPO3 must be able to support new technologies,
support new browsers, etc. on the other side there are existing websites
that want to use the same version for as long as possible. There is
currently no manpower to do both.

If we need to choose, then I'd say we have to choose for new
development. Standing still is going backwards in this fast moving world.
So, if there is a demand for LTS the people/companies who want that
should come up with a solution. That can of course be discussed within
the Association.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member