[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Dominik Stankowski dominik at web-essentials.asia
Wed Nov 7 14:56:17 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

I like this discussion and it is an important one.

I agree with the 6 months release cycle - why not? It is good that
features can be released quickly, this keeps the innovation in the product.

But I would prefer an LTS with TYPO3 6.1. In order for the LTS versions
to make sense, they need to have some overlap. Maybe the 2y (bug fixes)
+ 1y (security fixes) cycle Lukas has proposed earlier would work to
reduce the workload on the maintainers?

I think LTS is a great marketing instrument - but not only! LTS has also
helped to achieve a greater *adoption* of a specific version. Before
TYPO3 4.5 a lot of old TYPO3 instances were around that have - finally -
been upgraded to TYPO3 4.5 - thanks to LTS!

 From my observation, adoption of the versions 4.6 and 4.7 has not been
that high and the adoption of version 6.0 will probably be similar. So
in order to move everyone to the next level, an LTS (e.g. 6.1) is more
than overdue - and everyone will benefit from it, developers and agencies.

I hope this helps the discussion.

Cheers,
Dominik