[TYPO3-core] New documentation workflow

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Jun 18 11:34:02 CEST 2012

Hi François,

> My proposal is the following:
>
> 1) Core issue is opened for a new feature
> 2) Core patch with new feature is pushed to Gerrit
> 3) Documentation issue is opened at the same time, with a reference to
> the Core issue
> 4) Core patch is merged
> 5) Documentation patch is pushed to Gerrit
> 6) Documentation Team reviews and merges documentation patch

I would prefer sending both patches one after the other to Gerrit
instead of waiting for the merge to push the documentation patch to Gerrit.

In addition, having a

"Relates: "

line in the documentation patch would be good IMHO. And I would even go
one small step further and add a

"Depends: "

line with the Change-Id of the Core patch. This allows a quick an easy
navigation in Gerrit (I did it for a Version/Workspaces patch recently)
and adds the dependency without making it explicitly git-wise, which
could not be possible because we are in two separate repositories anyway.

So, to summerize:

----- Core patch -----
[TYPE] <Title>

<Description>

Change-Id: I<whatever>
Resolves: #<whatever>
Branches: 6.0, ...
---------------------

----- Doc patch -----
[DOC] <Title>

<Description>

Change-Id: I<whatever>
Depends: <Change-Id-reference-of-the-core-patch>
Resolves: #<whatever>

I omitted the "Relates" line above, perhaps it's not really needed as we
have the relation within Forge and if only one line should be kept I'd
prefer the Depends one :)

Cheers

--
Xavier Perseguers