[TYPO3-core] New Version Schedules, Deprecation, etc.

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Sat Jul 14 11:39:15 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Geith wrote:

> I found an interesting article about scheduling new versions of software
> at heise.de (sorry, but only german):
>
>     http://www.heise.de/open/artikel/Die-Woche-Fertig-1637904.html
>
> I short, they say
>    - Users hate new versions/updates
>    - Developpers like new versions

Reading the article and the comments, I think the main reason why users hate
upgrades is, because they have to work (click) and decide.

Nobody cares about Chrome updates, because they are always in the background
without user interaction.
Most users do not care about website upgrades (in terms of design an
functionality), because most do not notice this.

That means we should create a CLI interface for the upgrade wizards and a
way to automatically update non-symlink installations from CLI too. Once
this is done, we can integrate an one-click update button the the user
interface.

That is one side of the medal. The other side is the developer view, which
means we should try to avoid breaking the code, but most clean up too.

Without a team (manpower!) that does at least basic checks on extensions, we
can not enforce rules like only tag as compatible if it does not create
deprecation log entries.

As already stated at other places, I would like to have separate
repositories for each major version and to force developers to reupload
their extension to show that they still support it for that version.
A simple poll at T3o where users can confirm that an extension still works
could we used to automatically push an extension that is confirmed working
by at least three users (or any other number).

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!