[TYPO3-core] More strict convention for typoscript naming

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Fri Jul 13 08:42:15 CEST 2012

Hi,

>> 3) deprecate the old ones in 6.0
>
> Deprecation is meaningless in real life. Nobody gives a (...) and will
> continue to use the old syntax. Why? Because current sites still work,
> because the books still use the old syntax, because thousands of blogs
> and snippet collections still use the old syntax.
>
>> 4) remove the old ones in 6.2 or 7.0 to give some more time
>
> It doesn't matter how much time you give. People will still be surprised
> when the site suddenly doesn't work. Their books say it should be done
> this way, the snippets on site X say it should be correct (and the 30
> comments of the snippet praise the author for the great snippet).

That's sad to say but this is totally true. People and agencies
deactivate the deprecation log, update later and get a blank website.

> I think the energy which would have to go into purifying the syntax
> could better be spend in areas where TYPO3 needs improvement.

To be pragmatic I think this is the best option but we've demonstrated
that great results may come from the community. So if someone feels it
removing a few inconsistencies in a sensible way, improving the
t3editor, acting as a guardian for new features introducing TypoScript,
... then you're welcome !!!

And perhaps Philipps' proposal should be investigated to see where it
leads. But for sure TYPO3 should not be slow down even more :)

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6