[TYPO3-core] More strict convention for typoscript naming

Marcus Schwemer typo3 at schwemer.de
Thu Jul 12 23:49:34 CEST 2012

Hi there,

I'd like to put some details to Dominiques post

The bottom line is that there is no convention for naming TypoScript
properties. The 2 examples mentioned are

- config.minifyCSS
- config.compressCss

I had a short look to the tsref ... and here are more examples:

CONFIG

- config.sendCacheHeaders_onlyWhenLoginDeniedInBranch
==> mixup between lowerCamelCase and underscores

- config.notification_email_encoding
==> only underscores

- config.setJS_mouseOver
==> lowerCamelCase with some uppercase letters and underscores

- config.MP_mapRootpoints
==> UpperCamelCase followed by Uppercase and underscore followed by
lowerCamelCase

- config.htmlTag_langKey
==> lowerCamelCase, underscore, lowerCamelCase

IMGTEXT
- maxWInText
==> lowerCamelCase (maxW) + UpperCamelCase (InText)

FORM
- RADIO.layout
==> ALLUPPERCASE.lowercase

Probably you see the issue. ;-)

Our and / or my ideas were
1) find a common guideline (preferably strict lowerCamelCase)
2) move functionality to the new standard based attributes / functions
3) deprecate the old ones in 6.0
4) remove the old ones in 6.2 or 7.0 to give some more time

Apropos 1)
in some places it might be easier to have speaking names:
maxW => maxWidth; that would solve some lowerCamelCaseClashes

While writing this, another idea is, that some kind of deprecation log
for TS configuration might be helpful.

What do you think?

Ciao
Marcus