[TYPO3-core] Remove flash uploader in TYPO3 4x?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 26 17:48:01 CET 2012

Hi,

OMG I've entered an Occupy-Flash camp it seems :-D

On 26-2-2012 12:33, Tolleiv Nietsch wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert schrieb:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that 4.9 will be released before 2020. I'd say we
>> desperately need a fall back for IE7-9.
>>

> I don't agree. As IE users (or their admins) choose to use this horrible
> brick of software, they choose not to participate in the modern (HTML 5
> driven) web with a modern UI.

It won't be anything new for you, but many people seem to block this
from their brains:

- in enterprise environments neither the users nor the admins choose
their OS and browsers. It's dictated by higher management and mostly due
to long term corporate contracts with suppliers.
- the "modern" (HTML5 driven) web is not of interest to big
organisations they want a working website on their machines and on their
customers/clients/.... machines

Remember the main reason for making 4.5 and LTS version? It was to be
able to drop IE6 support in 4.6 and still have a supported TYPO3 version
around until MS finally dropped IE6 support. It was not for
underdeveloped countries who still use computers of last century but for
companies and organisations who could/would not easily migrate to newer
software; to be "enterprise level".

> Imho the fallback (working with single uploads) is fine and of course
> there's still the chance to release the flash uploader as TER extension
> (assuming that the paranoid admin who stuck with IE allowed it's uses to
> install Flash).

The fall back is not very friendly and everybody knows that a flash
uploader or java uploader in TER will not be supported by the core team.
Besides extensions in TER are not be considered part of TYPO3, so this
is not really an argument for dropping support.

As I answered earlier, the single upload fall back is the same as
calling a textarea where you can enter raw HTML a fall back for an RTE.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.