[TYPO3-core] Commit message nitpicking...

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Sun Feb 19 10:37:22 CET 2012

Hey Tolleiv,

thanks for bringing this up. I ran into that problem myself and it
sounds really strange if you spent some hours to create a nice solution
for a problem and then the first feedback is, that some keyword could be
different.

Am 19.02.12 09:17, schrieb Tolleiv Nietsch:
> Hi,
>
> looking into most change requests in Gerrit you'll see that commit
> messages turn out to be a huge playground for our dear nitpickers.
>
> The defined commit message format [1] distinguishes between "Fixes",
> "Resolves" for certain issue types and it allows "Releases" but not
> "Branches" for the targets. It's not much but still people (even Core
> devs) seem to run into the trap quite often and the nitpickers are happy
> to show them.
>
> Therefore there are two things I need to ask here:
>
> 1) Nitpickers - Y U NO follow "patch for a patch" rules? [2] It's soooo
> easy - fetch the patch, amend the commit message and push.

Should be easy:
+ cherry-pick the change
+ modify the commit message with "git commit -a --amend"
+ push again

Besides that, a polite note would be enough to fix that before the
actual merge with the repository. There's no need to give a -1 just for
a "Fixes:/Resolves:" issue.

> 2) All other Folks - do we really need to distinguish between "Fixes"
> and "Releases" based on the context and are we really so square headed
> to forbid "Branches" as alias for "Releases"? Do we really want to make
> it so easy for the nitpickers? Are there technical reasons for that?

It might be required for Ernesto's overview page of backporting fixes to
older branches - bugs should be backported ("Fixes:") and feature not
("Resolves:"). However, since we use "[BUGFIX]" and "[FEATURE]" in the
commit subject, I'd say one is enought - "Resolves:".

Cheers,
Olly
--
Oliver Hader