[TYPO3-core] Redirect to Shortcut target feature in 4.6 break news feed link

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Oct 4 23:50:45 CEST 2011

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 04.10.2011 21:56:
> Hi,
>
> On 4-10-2011 20:47, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>> Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 02.10.2011 15:14:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The old situation was that the same content was shown at the URL of the
>>> target page and at the URL of the shortcut page. Duplicate content is
>>> bad for SEO; many search engines will punish the ranking for a site
>>> which has duplicate content.
>>
>> Just an off-topic side-note about this:
>>
>> The "duplicate content penalty" from Google&Co is a myth. Since years
>
> I'm not a SEO expert (in fact I don't believe in SEO myself other than
> producing relevant content). The mentioned change was related to issue
> 28322 [1], which was related to 15128 [2].
> The text of the latter mentioned the search enging behaviour.
>
> Thanks for clearing up the myth. Would you say that because this myth
> the change should be reverted?
>
> [1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/28322
> [2] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/15128

In general I think this behaviour is good as the new default (as I
proposed it myself 4 years ago [1]).

By looking at the merged change I just have some "strange feeling" when
thinking about the generated redirection when the shortcut points to a
page in a different domain or complete different site and how it
behaves. Will realurl "kick in"? etc... :)

The change will not influence how our menus are rendered, or even how
typolink behaves, because these link to the destination of the shortcut
since some releases already, so you won't get distinct URLs for
different menu items pointing to the same shortcut destination. So I
expect the resonance of this new feature to be very small.

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/15128#note-24