[TYPO3-core] Redirect to Shortcut target feature in 4.6 break news feed link

Bernd Wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Tue Oct 4 09:35:16 CEST 2011

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 15:14:04 +0200, Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2-10-2011 11:25, Visay Keo wrote:
>> Since 4.6 beta1 add "Change I4199cb8c: [FEATURE] Redirect to Shortcut
>> target page", when entering the base url in the address bar it always
>> redirects to its target page when the root page is a shortcut.
> [...]
>> So my questions are:
>> - Why do we need this new feature?
>
> The old situation was that the same content was shown at the URL of the
> target page and at the URL of the shortcut page. Duplicate content is
> bad for SEO; many search engines will punish the ranking for a site
> which has duplicate content.

as the search engines know about CMSs and scripts in 2009 the canonical
tag was invented, which provides a better way to give the search engines
one unique URL [¹]

>> - What would be the solution to fix my problem?
>
> Swap the two pages?

> [-] -- subpage A (Shortcut to Home)
>      +- subpage B
>      +- subpage C

this needs a more complex configuration in TypoScript:
usually the homepage has some special layout/content which needs some
special TypoScript

having:
start
 +- home (redirect to start)
 +- page2
 +- page3
 :

you need a condition on the Id of start to get the special TS, otherwise
all the special TS gets inherited to the other pages

as in

start (redirect to home)
 +- home
 +- page2
 +- page3
 :

you have your global TS anchored in start with an extension-template in
home to modify the TS

[¹] http://www.pi-phi.de/seo-canonical.html (german)

bernd