[TYPO3-core] RFC #17027: Deprecate safe_mode

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Jan 17 22:12:14 CET 2011

Hi,

we discussed the issue today in the RM meeting and also with Jigal via
Skype. This is the route we decided to take:

- safe_mode support in 4.5 is the *same* as in 4.4. We won't drop it,
but will stop working on safe_mode issues because at least some are
unsolvable. If fixes appear that also work with safe_mode (which then
probably also apply to 4.3 + 4.4), we will happily integrate them (if
they don't break the non-safe_mode environment, of course).

- No "deprecation" log: it would only flood the log without any chance
for users to do anything, because it will log on every hit (not very
helpful). It would be like an unannounced change of requirement.

- We'll adapt the system requirements for 4.6 to be (most probably):
  a) PHP 5.3 (e.g. Debian Squeeze will by then be out for some months
with native 5.3 support) and
  b) safe_mode *disabled*

- Users wanting upgrade to 4.6 will have to make sure safe_mode is off,
else they can still stick to 4.5 (with LTS) for three years.

- Use "Reports module" starting in 4.5 to report about current usage of
safe_mode in TYPO3 4.5 (as a warning that issues with it cannot be fixed
and that support for it will be dropped in 4.6).

These facts should also be announced during the 4.5 release (NEWS.txt,
Release Notes etc).

Cheers,
Ernesto