[TYPO3-core] RFC #17027: Deprecate safe_mode

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 15 08:23:06 CET 2011

Hi,

On 15-1-2011 0:56, Christian Kuhn wrote:
> On 01/15/2011 12:32 AM, Steffen Gebert wrote:
>> Furthermore, safe_mode is officially deprecated by the PHP guys since
>> 5.3 [1]
>
> Yeah, that's true. But we still support 5.2 in TYPO3 4.5. I know that we
> have very nasty issues with im & safe_mode & windows, but we recently
> solved several safe_mode issues for 4.5, 4.4 and 4.3.

Some issues can be solved, some are impossible to solve.

Not only is safe_mode deprecated in PHP 5.3 but for some years the
manual discourages using it and basically tells that safe_mode was a bad
idea in the first place [1]:
"It is architecturally incorrect to try to solve this problem at the PHP
level, but since the alternatives at the web server and OS levels aren't
very realistic, many people, especially ISP's, use safe mode for now."
There are plenty of hosting companies with excellent security status
which offer hosting without safe_mode.

In short I would say that safe_mode causes more problems than it solves.
But indeed the RMs have the last word on an issue like this.

My +1 on reading and running into problems with safe_mode enabled.

[1] http://nl2.php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert