[TYPO3-core] RFC #16878: Feature: Make t3lib_utility_Client::getBrowserInfo() aware of more operating systems

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Jan 5 15:44:27 CET 2011

Jeff Segars schrieb am 04.01.2011 18:32:

>> Type: Feature
>>
>> Bugtracker references:
>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=16878
>>
>> Branches:
>> trunk
>>
>> Problem:
>> t3lib_utility_Client::getBrowserInfo() currently misses to correcly
>> detect
>> around 120 million iOS-devices and 60 million android-devices. Windows
>> XP,
>> Vista and 7 are all detected as Windows NT – which is correct if talking
>> about the kernel but wrong otherwise. I'd vote for separate detection of
>> them, but it's debatable.
>>
>> Solution:
>> Add iOS and android as system-variables and conditions to detect them.
>>
>> Notes:
>> I also added some unittests for OS I could look up by firing up vmware –
>> this could be extended, but that's another RFC.
>>
>> It'd be nice to see this in 4.5 as it's more or less a no-brainer, but
>> if people rely on detecting Windows XP by matching on NT, it might break
>> that. So maybe you see this different…

> Hey Andy,
> Thanks for your patch!  We're already past the feature freeze for TYPO3
> 4.5, so if this patch is considered a new feature it will have to wait
> for TYPO3 4.6.
> I would consider this a bugfix however, as returning Windows NT, Mac,
> and Linux in so many places doesn't seem right. I think we need an
> official opinion from Steffen or Ernesto whether this can go into 4.5
> though.

Yes, this is something that should definitively still be fixed in 4.5.

About Kays idea of using PHP's browsecap function and using an
up-to-date browscap.ini file, it was discussed already, and as far as I
recall the general feeling that this was a BIG performance eater and we
wanted to keep that call much faster, using smart regexps.

Cheers,
Ernesto