[TYPO3-core] Additional branches on Git

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Apr 6 14:30:58 CEST 2011

Tolleiv Nietsch schrieb am 06.04.2011 14:14:
> Am 06.04.2011 09:42, schrieb Peter Niederlag:
>

>> We are talking abot xy KBytes. If you want to ignore them in your local
>> clone, change your .git/config "fetch" section. If you want to put them
>> somewhere else, u have the choice to do so.
>>

> Grml - yeah and 640K is enough for everyone ;).
>
> I still don't get why you all think that we need to resolve all these
> tasks all within a single repository. Forking is a valid technique in
> the Git world - why don't we use that?

Not everybody (I guess almost nobody) is able to host a public
repository where everybody can fetch from. Which is why we want to
provide an infrastructure for public use. The sandbox is an easy way to
do it with Gerrit (out of the box), but maybe other techniques (like
Peter described, a separate repository) would be better suited. But then
again, someone has to "do it".

Or we just use github.org with all the benefits that it provides, but
then it's not in "our hand" (which I don't oppose per se, but we have
also moved from SF.net > Forge in the past ago for a reason).

Cheers,
Ernesto