[TYPO3-core] RFC: #15812: Add backend maintenance for login news

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Sun Sep 26 06:57:09 CEST 2010

Benjamin Mack wrote:

Hey Benni,

> I agree with Marcus in some parts, and actually I think I had a similar
> idea last week at the workspaces sprint, telling the team that we should
> just enhance sys_notes and extend it so you have an additional category
> "Login news". What do you think of that?

Thanks for your input, but I don't think that's a full / correct
solution for the issue. The problem is that with the login news we
currently have a half-baked feature which is very hard or at least
complicated to use. If you want to use login news from the backend - the
management view of the system - it's even impossible to do use, you have
to go and use an external editor, probably also an FTP tool.

Sys_notes at first sounds like a good solution, but in reality it isn't:

1) Notes are a user's _personal_ notes. So _login_ news aren't in the
domain of notes.
2) If at all I'd consider putting it in sys_messages, which for whatever
reasons is not a system extension though. (IMO for an ECMS we should
provide a way for the editors to communicate, and it could also be used
for other purposes like WS notifications, but that's a different story.)
3) What's so bad about introducing a dedicated table? Will it take up
tons of space, slow down the system, kill kittens or will it just serve
a good purpose? Hey, we even have different tables for BE users and FE
users... It's just a small and efficient table that serves a dedicated
purpose.
4) Most importantly however I think the feature belongs to the
management view of TYPO3 which is EXT:cms. Putting it into sys_notes
would require installing at least two additional extensions (taskcenter,
sys_notes). Thus the management view should provide such a feature,
otherwise an alternative consequent but drastic option would be to
remove the other portion of a feature which is not usable from the
backend - meaning removing the login news complete. It's a bit like
having to manage pages and content elements, but having no way to
create, edit, and delete them from the backend.

I value any input a lot, but this just shows me that providing patches
for the core is a huge effort in time even for such simple things which
are of very little effort in coding. This is quite demotivating when
thinking of providing more patches. There are so many things I stumble
over, most often simple things, but when thinking about having to go
through this huge effort of discussing and arguing about patches even
when they come from experienced people I by now prefer to leave things
the way they are and spend my time in other ways. I don't think that's a
good signal... Let's all just relax a bit and make the world a better
place instead of having to discuss each and every detail for weeks.

best
Ingo

P.S. No kittens were harmed when writing the patch ;)

--
Ingo Renner