[TYPO3-core] RFC: #15699: Provide a wizard for media to process the video url

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Sep 21 02:20:34 CEST 2010

Steffen Kamper schrieb am 13.09.2010 19:16:

> Ah, sorry. We removed mtv as they changed their way delivering videos,
> so i forgot to remove it from the provider list.
>
> Attached is the corrected patch.

Hi,

here is my suggestion on how this could be implemented. I also reworked
some of the providers which weren't generic enough.

With this concept there is an "interface" which a media wizard provider
has to implement. The different implementations are registered using
this call in ext_localconf.php:

tslib_mediaWizardManager::registerMediaWizardProvider($className);

e.g. the core registers its default provider using:

tslib_mediaWizardManager::registerMediaWizardProvider('tslib_mediaWizardCoreProvider');

Currently the interface only mandates two methods:

  boolean canHandle($url)
  string rewriteUrl($url)

I could imagine that we later on enhance that interface to allow
different media wizard providers to also provide the necessary rendering
for the plugin (if it doesn't work with SWFobject, for example).

In my implementation extensions registering a "provider" will win over a
core provider, this way making it possible for extensions in TER to
override potentially obsolete definitions from the core (e.g. if there
are new URLs in youtube et al).

Cheers,
Ernesto