[TYPO3-core] RFC #15743: Bug:function in t3lib_iconWorks is not public

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Sun Sep 19 11:51:04 CEST 2010

Am 18.09.2010 20:54, schrieb Steffen Kamper:
> Hi,
>
> Helmut Hummel schrieb:
>> On 18.09.10 18:15, Steffen Kamper wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> +1 by reading, but i don't like the comment. If the function is
>>> public you can use it direct, for what purpose ever. So i would omit
>>> the extra comment "You should not use this directly besides if you
>>> need classes for ExtJS iconCls."
>>
>> Extbase and FLOW3 have the @api annotation for methods that are meant to
>> be used. All other public methods are only meant to be called by the
>> framework and are subject to change.
>>
>> So in general I like to have annotations that a method is not meant to
>> be an official API, whether it be a comment or an annotation like
>> @access private
>>

> i agree, this is a good habit.
>
> Anyway in this specific comment is mentioned that you need this for
> generating classes for ExtJs. So in my eyes this is an official API when
> using with ExtJs. Ok, i havn't seen this usage yet, but this is
> irretating for me.
>
> vg Steffen

it's about follwoing: normally we get spans back which do the job
completely for icons. ExtJs has iconCls property which already
"prepares" icon-backgrounds... There it would be useful just to get the
class from the API.
This is possible making htis public. But with this, there is noch
"backup" if no icon is found, and no overlays are there. this is just
for very specific "inCore" usage.

regards

STeffen