[TYPO3-core] RFC #15998: Create a new API based on SwiftMailer to replace t3lib_htmlmail

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Sat Oct 16 21:46:20 CEST 2010

Hi,

This is a SVN patch request.

Type: Feature

BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15998

Branches: trunk

Problem:
t3lib_htmlmail is ugly and non-RFC conformant. Include library
SwiftMailer (selected as the "coolest" one amongst all potential
analysed candidates) to replace the functionality with a new robust API [1].

This is also meant to replace all direct calls to "mail()" and also
"t3lib_utility_Mail" in future, because of its flexibilty in sending mails.

How to test:
1) apply the attached patch 15998.diff

2) unpack the .zip file (attached only to the bug tracker!) with the
typo3/contrib/swiftmailer/ into your sources

3) apply 15998-scheduler-test.diff which will change the scheduler "test
task" to send emails using the new API

4) go to Install Tool > All Configuration and enjoy the new section
[MAIL]. Configure the three available transports for each test.

5) Execute the scheduler task, and get a happy RFC-conformant mail in
your mailbox.

Master-plan:
This is the first patch which just adds the API and implements the "step
1" of our plan. Please read that to get the big picture of what the next
steps are [2]. That page also contains examples on how to use the new API.

After this is in the core, we can already start replacing all calls to
t3lib_htmlmail which simply "create and send" simple mails with the new
API. We can also replace all calls to t3lib_utility_Mail::mail() with
the new API, providing a much more robust (and configurable) way of
sending mails.

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1] http://swiftmailer.org/