[TYPO3-core] RFC #14490: New Backend design

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 27 09:39:25 CEST 2010

> * Uses modern techniques like CSS3 gradients, multiple backgrounds,
> data-uris, etc.

-1 for CSS3 stuff, because the least common denominator supported by TYPO3
is still IE6

>    Fallback definitions have to defined during RCs as soon we can
> destinguish between browsers

-1 because you already know that you will need fallback definitions - you
should remove any stuff that needs a fallback OR use the fallback for each
browser instead of the so called "modern" stuff to avoid a maintenance
nightmare

> * Doesn't look nice in IE (but works!). Please test in a modern
> browser to see all goodies,
>    which work out of the box (as already mentioned, fallback will come
> later on). Reference: FF3.6

-1 for applying a patch now that doesn't work for all supported browsers
yet. Experience from the past shows, that many things won't be fixed before
the next stable release and you all remember what happened to IE8 users last
time.

After all this is about having a so called "enterprise level CMS" that has
to work for ALL of it's users and not about implementing fancy stuff just
because it can be done with a browser that simply doesn't exist for many of
those enterprise users.

We already discussed similar approaches before, and they completely
contradict the goals of the Backend Code Cleanup team. So I really would
appreciate having a final decision about the way to go, before we go on
implementing fancy CSS3 stuff.

Thx

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian