[TYPO3-core] RFC #5779: Hide dotfiles such as .svn in filelists

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at think-open.at
Thu May 6 10:10:24 CEST 2010

Susanne Moog wrote:

> If I take the example of .svn that is exactly the wanted behavior as you
> wouldn't want a normal user to delete a folder under version control.
> It's most likely versioned because devs/admins use it and contains
> things like TS that should not be touched by normal users... So I don't
> really see a problem with disallowing it...

Hello !

I have to roll up this problem again ;)

Not allowing a user to delete a directory on which he normally has access is
also not correct in my eyes. I guess an admin would get 10 requests a day:
I can't delete this directory, it moans about hidden files.

I also re-read the whole thread and came to the following solution:

* Hide all .dot files and probably even some others like __MACOS using a regular expression
   which can get set from within User/Group-TS
   (Except .htaccess to be fine with Dmitrys requirements)

* Have a check-box "show hidden files" in the User-Setup which disables this
   regular expression showing all files and thus allowing a non-admin user to also delete
   hidden files. If an admin does not want hidden files/directories to be deleted he has to
   set filesystem permissions accordingly - as it is the case right now (because until now
   all .dot files are shown like others in the fileadmin)
   (Checkbox So dirs with hidden files/dirs can get shown and deleted)

* If a folder gets deleted but still contains hidden files/dirs show a flashmessage which
   informs the user and tells about the possibility of showing hidden files.

I came to the conclusion by looking through all messages which contain very different
opinions on hidden files:

Steffen Kamper: "hidden files are never usable (with some very very rare exceptions)."

Susanne Mood: "It's most likely versioned because devs/admins use it and contains
things like TS that should not be touched by normal users"