[TYPO3-core] RFC #14719: Automatically create ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL file when 1-2-3 Install Tool is used

Krystian Szymukowicz t33k.RE.MO.VE at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Tue Jun 15 17:33:59 CEST 2010

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Many PHP web applications require the user to do some "file-system"
> action on the server before installing it, just to "prove" that this is
> "his environment".
>
> So I don't really think it is that user-unfriendly, as the user is then
> from start aware of this file and its importance.
>
> What we could do is make this "necessary step" more integrated in the
> 1-2-3 wizard, so that the "first step" is something like "now go create
> a file named typo3conf/ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL on the server", instead of
> scaring error messages ("The Install Tool is locked" etc...).

It hard to belive but many users have problem with creating that simple
file. I even had a user asking me to send him the ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL
file by email (!)

Maybe it would be better to:

a) put that file in folder. For example misc/ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL and ask
the user to copy the file to typo3conf/
With any GUI ftp its trivial task.

or to:

b) put a file in typo3conf/_ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL and ask the user to
change the name to ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL. I think changing filename is
much easier than creating file.

--
grtz
Krystian Szymukowicz