[TYPO3-core] RFC #11221 : Feature : Separate firstname and lastname columns in fe_users table

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Wed Jan 27 21:04:05 CET 2010

> i don't want to write a long answer, only in short: We really have
> more important things in the pipeline, hundreds of open bugs so there
> are more important to do. Sure i see that it all could be done more
> proper, and i don't see a problem if a patch is posted to the list
> introducing it. But i'm against only discuss and blocking features as
> long there are enough votes for the feature, which was in this case.

As long as it is just about having a majority of votes because the better
alternative didn't come with a patch (yet), we will
always have to face the current situation of suboptimal solutions used by
the core. In fact this is why we have to struggle with these hundreds of
open bugs, because just an available patch and a few +1 are enough to get
something in the core, regardless of the conceptual quality and without
taking other (and maybe better) solutions into account.

I thought the goal of 4.4 was "fixing the last 20%", which is more than just
pumping in a lot of code to get rid of exceptions, error messages and
unwanted behaviour. It's more about QA, which is why I support Bennis
approach of moving the whole stuff into an extension.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de