[TYPO3-core] RFC: #0011499: feature: db compare in install tool can require a huge amount of clicks

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Wed Jul 8 16:03:32 CEST 2009

Hi,

> I'm quite shure that the code that I added/changed complies to the coding
> guidelines (in the v2 patch) and that there's no rule that says, that
> someone who patches something has to clean up the code of the functions or
> the whole file he touched.
> But correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I can see, whitespaces are not quite correct. And yes,
touching someone's old code is a good opportunity to clean up the CGLs,
although it is not necessary to do so (and especially not on the whole
file indeed).

> SCNR: to me it begins to look that we like it much more to talk about coding
> guidelines and rules than fixing important stuff or adding valuable
> features.
> Come on dudes, this IS a cool feature, that fixes a gremlin that annoyed at
> least me for years now.

There's no denying that this is a cool feature (and actually I had
implemented it in the Install 2.0 project) and I understand that it can
seem frustrating to have haggling over whitespaces in such conditions.
But you must also consider that we are about 20 core devs and we can't
afford to have each one use his own style because he can't be bothered
(and I also agree that the latest CGLs date only from last Friday so
there's some latency to be expected ;-) ).

Cheers

--

Francois Suter