[TYPO3-core] RFC #9974: Use PHP built--in gzip/deflate compression in Frontend

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Feb 16 13:47:02 CET 2009

Hi!

Thorsten Kahler wrote:
> why should we start placing functions in index_ts.php? I don't really
> like adding the function to t3lib_div, but that's our
> all-pupose-container ATM.

There are several reasons.

Firsts, if the function is to be used in a single file, its place is in that single file. There is no need to make it available for everyone if others are not going to use it.

Secondly, we already talked that it would be great to split t3lib_div because it became a huge monster.

Thirdly, I do not feel very comfortable having functions in index_ts.php too. I thought at lot about the better place. But index_ts.php seems to be the most logical place for the function, which works only in this file and not in any other place. I even thought about creating a dedicated class for this function but I decided that it is too much overhead for the same reason: use only in index_ts, extra [slow] inclusion, etc.

> I don't expect any extension to use it. And as you said in your initial
> post: the class isn't really maintained by anyone. But stick to the
> rules and keep it for the next three years - but mark it as deprecated then.

Ok.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team