[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #9217: typo3ajax::renderAsXML does not always render XML

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Mon Sep 15 07:14:02 CEST 2008

Hey,

Francois Suter wrote:
> ...so I would rather not be backwards-compatible. But I guess that will
> have to wait for Benni's opinion.
I don't like adding a new interface and then changing it in the next
version.

I'd propose this one:

* For 4.3 add the option with both possibilities, make this option
deprecated though. In addition, make all BE-AJAX-Calls in the Core set
up with the new version (a lot of people take the core for reference on
how to write AJAX calls in the BE)
* In 4.5 remove the old option.

Think of people who write AJAX extensions for TYPO3. They'd need to
provide different code for their extension to return on a AJAX call for
4.1, 4.2 and 4.3. That must stink.

Another option that just comes to my mind:
* Actually wrap the whole thing in a type of <t3ajax> tag, because we
need a "document" for the XML that is returned from the AJAX call to
properly process the code, so the array2xml does not give us one main
"document" root node when returning. For this case, we really should
break compatibility (although I really don't like that).

--
All the best,
benni.