[TYPO3-core] RFC Feature Request #9670 Code-Completion for TypoScript in the t3editor

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Fri Oct 31 16:49:38 CET 2008

Tobias Liebig wrote:
> this a SVN patch request.
>
> Type:     Feature
> Branches: trunk only
> BT:       http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9670
>

> Problem / Solution:
> Implement context-senstive Code-Completion for TypoScript.
>
> We hope to get much feedback on this feature during the 4.3 alpha phase
> to get it fit for 4.3 beta/final
>

> Notes:
> The attached patch contains all changes in the core-files.
> The attached .zip contains all new/additional files.
>

> Notes II/Credits:
> Stephan Petzl and Christian Kartnig worked on this amazing feature.
> Credits might go to them.
>

> Notes III/Known bugs/Things to do:
> * make use of the ajax.php/class.typo3ajax.php interface for ajax-calls
> * general code cleanup
> * serveral known bugs (not only code-completion-related)
>
>   all this might come for 4.3alpha2
>

> regards
>    tobias

Hey Tobias,
I was able to do some testing this morning, and all in all it works very
nicely.  Great feature!  I do have some minor observations...

* tsLoader.php uses "<?" to open the PHP script rather than "<?php".  On
servers with short open tags disabled, this means the script isn't
interpreted as PHP at all. This messed me up for a while in testing
because the descriptions weren't ever filled in and I suspect Steffen
may have been having the same problem.

* In talking to Olly, there are currently some IE problems but he's
preparing an updated patch for that.

Once those are addressed, you have my +1 on testing for alpha1. There
are also some improvements that would be nice in the future, but aren't
at all critical for alpha1.

* t3editor doesn't load at all for me in the current Safari release or
in Webkit nightlies. I do get the checkbox at the bottom to deactive it.
It's a graceful degrade though, as nothing breaks, so I'm fine with it
for the alpha release.

* It might be nice to have some visual indicator when the code
completion list wraps back to the start.  I can see myself scrolling
forever and not realizing it :)

* In addition to the return key, should both tab and right arrow trigger
code completion?

* Single lines of TS work great but multiline properties don't trigger
any code completion. I can see how this wouldn't be trivial but if you
can pull it off, it would be a great feature :)

lib.textCObject = TEXT
lib.textCObject.value = Hello World

vs.

lib.textCObject = TEXT