[TYPO3-core] FYI: Integrated extJS in the TYPO3 core

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Fri Oct 31 11:28:08 CET 2008

Hello world,

the following new files were just added to the TYPO3 trunk:

* typo3/contrib/extjs/LICENSE.txt
* typo3/contrib/extjs/ext-base.js
* typo3/contrib/extjs/ext-all.js
* typo3/contrib/extjs/ext-all-debug.js
* typo3/contrib/extjs/resources/
* typo3/contrib/extjs/locale/
* typo3/contrib/extjs/ext-prototype-adapter.js

This includes the whole extJS package without extensions, which can now
be used in the TYPO3 after including the following files:

template::includeJavascriptLib('contrib/extjs/ext-base.js');
template::includeJavascriptLib('contrib/extjs/ext-all.js');

There is also the option of using the prototype-adapter.js, which I also
included, however, to get maximum performance out of extJS, it makes
sense to use the ext-base.js, the ext-specific adapter, which does NOT
interfere with prototype or any other prototype framework.

Some notes for clarification:

== License ==

Although extJS is licensed under a commercial license and under GPLv3,
us as the core team have decided not to go with GPLv3 for TYPO3 4.3,
that's why we make use of the FLOSS exception that extJS offers.
http://extjs.com/products/floss-exception.php
As discussed with the extJS development team, this works for our
situation, and TYPO3 4.x is continued to be released under GPLv2+.

== File size ==

The package only includes some locale files and some default skin files
(in resources), if anyone cares to create a t3skin resource files for
us, that would be awesome. The whole package that I now included is
about 2.5 MB, contains the base and the prototype-adapter, and a
ext-all-debug.js for developing.

I was looking into having several components only loaded when needed,
however it makes more sense (performance-wise), the extJS have already
did some tests with that.

Also: Thanks for Steffen Kamper for preparing the package.
Also #2: I did not attach all the new files to this post, as it was too
huge (in my mind).

== Discussion ==

ANY discussion about this topic should NOT happen in reply to this post
but rather in the dev-list if you have any concerns or questions.

And now: Happy ext-JS-ing!

--
All the best,
benni.