[TYPO3-core] RFC #9505: Make the caches in TYPO3 use the new caching framework

Martin Kutschker martin.t.kutschker at n0spam.blackbox.net
Tue Oct 7 21:07:34 CEST 2008

Ingo Renner schrieb:
> Hi *,
>
> this is a SVN patch request.
>
> Branches: trunk only
>
> BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9505
>
> Problem:
> Although we have a new caching framework, the caches in TYPO3 aren't
> using it yet.
>
> Solution:
> Change the caches to use the new t3lib_cache framework.

Hard to review but the changes look sound, so I only one question and a
  comment.

I stumbled across this line "TODO check where $expTime is used, the new
caching API can't handle it, so it can be removed". Does this mean that
cached contents may never expire? How is the cache expiry to be handled?

Two new global variables are added: $cacheManager and $TYPO3_CACHE. What
is the reasoning behind the different naming schemes? Even if
$cacheManager may be used in theory in a wider context, it's a TYPO3
variable. I know that the 5.0 team doesn't like singletons but I would
appreciate if we could avoid new globals if possible. Actually I have no
idea if there must be only one copy of the cache manager around, so
maybe I'm on a wrong track here.

Masi