[TYPO3-core] RFC: #9859: Upload files in fileadmin: Singular and plural are the same ("files")

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 10:49:23 CET 2008

Hi!

Stefano Kowalke wrote:
> Bugtracker references:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9859
>
> Branches:
> trunk, 4.3 alpha1
>
> Problem:
> In the filelist module there is a drowdown, where you could choose how many
> files you want upload, there are no separation between singular and plural:
> 1 Files
> 2 Files
> 3 Files
>

> Solution:
> Showing only 'File' for the first entry.

Same problem as for folders: it does not look grammatically correct
for some languages.

Even more, it is wrong to concatenate strings like that when
localizing because various languages may require different layout of
string and number ("1 xxx" vs "xxx 1" vs "xxx 1 yyy"). Typically
string to translate should look like "%d folders" and be sprintf'ed
to the number. My book has more info on this topic.

-1 to the patch for now. I'll make a replacement patch for both bugs.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 translations support