[TYPO3-core] RFC #8495: Buttons look like input-field

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Thu May 29 10:14:51 CEST 2008

Hi Dmitry,

"Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]" <dmitry at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1212047648.21214.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi!
>
> Firsts, I appologize for the second part of e-mail, which is probably not
> what you want to hear ;) But I think it is better to clarify some moments
> at early stages than to let the problem go deeper.

first of all thanks for your answer on this, and, you don't have to feel bad
or noone from HCI will hate you for your opinion.
It's good to have an opinion and to bring this into discussion.
many of your points are reasonable. I think we have to find a solution which
is good for all and which is at least good for TYPO3.

> Secondly, I am CCying to Jens because I am not sure that he reads core
> list regularly.
>
> Thirdly, it took nearly half an hour to write this mail and I am still
> unsure if I should send it. It does not make me feel good :( May be I
> should send it and we will see what happens. We are not children, so we
> all should act reasonably when arguments are provided.
>

> I like when interface looks consistent. Default OS look is not consistent
> with t3skin. This is one side. The other side is that usability experts do
> not recommend changing default look because users are familiar with it.
> This is an important point I think. However we do not change buttons much,
> they are still recognizable as buttons. I prefer them styled. This is not
> a -1 on default look and feel. This is a preference.

may be the buttons are a bad example, they are a very small issue out of
many others

> (This part is long and may not be a good reading. I apologize again if it
> makes anyone feel uncomfortable. This was not my intention. I care only
> about quality and our common goals here! I hope you (=HCI team) do not
> start hating me after reading.)
>
> Yes, you still need +1s from core developers even on this topics. This was
> decided by core team and personally I insist on this. Reasons will be
> explained below.

as far as i understood, everyone has the right to say VETO or vote with -1.
In this case good reasons has to be found to get a patch in, or in other
words, there are good reasons to block the patch for some reasons.

I don't think we need a statement who has the power to do something or
something more, the core team is responsible for the core, so they are the
last instance.
The HCI-team is newly formed, and there are core devs in the team. This
garantee a quality standard of the code.
Head of HCI is Jens, who does layouts, any UI-related patch is discussed
with him and can't pass with his VETO.
So we discuss all issues via mail, skype or reallife, and this is a good
way.
Nethertheless the team is in forge, not everybody can still join and act as
HCI. Jens is the leader and has to accept.
Same with core - they are a forge project too, but noone can join the team
by clicking on "join"

So what is important imho, discuss more (core <=> HCI). If core has a
HCI-related issue, contact the team to work together. Same in other
direction. We all have the same goal, and that's important.
I think we all are in contact via skype so it's easy to speak.

@Dmitry: all slides of Jens are template of our work. But as usual we
started with smaller issues. Some tasks as Tabs or TCEforms are more
complicate and needs more time

my 2 cents,
vg Steffen