[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8503: TCA input with property checkbox can't be removed

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Mon May 26 12:36:10 CEST 2008

Hi Dmitry

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>>  it is not possible to override a checkbox setting
>> eg nav_title has a checkbox which doesn't make really sense.
>>
>> So this setting should remove it:
>> $TCA['pages']['columns']['nav_title']['config']['checkbox'] = "";
>
> No, it should not. Read TYPO3 Core API [1]:
> ======================
> If defined (even empty), a checkbox is placed before the input field.
>
> If a value other than the value of 'checkbox' (this value) appears in
> the input-field the checkbox is checked.
> ======================
>
> The following will remove the checkbox for you:
>
> unset($TCA['pages']['columns']['nav_title']['config']['checkbox']);
>
> -1 on the patch because it breaks compatibility and completely disagrees
> with TYPO3 Core API.

I do find the Core API disturbing here. What is the purpose of being
able to clear a normal input field but not, for example, a textarea?

Also, authors click that checkbox to see what happens. In case they have
filled in some text it will be deleted. They click the checkbox again,
but alas, nothing happens.

Then how do you think site developers without php knowledge will find
out about the unset solution? My way to happiness was this: exploring
$TCA for pages, then t3lib_tceforms->getSingleField_typeInput(). Only
then I found my way to the relevant part of the TYPO3 Core API.

In the end it should be configurable via Page TSConfig, but i suppose
that is only feasible for 4.3, right?

Kind regards, Uschi